Saturday, March 20, 2010

If at first you don't succeed, cry, cry, again

Actually, I'll be sticking to the more standard version but I wanted to get your attention and avoid being cliche :) I do believe in try, try again. I think one of the most beautiful aspects of life is the second chance (as well as the third, fourth, fifth, seventy-seventh...). This principle is nowhere more beautifully exhibited than in the Atonement of Christ. Through Him we can have as many second chances as we are willing to take. He is the one that has said so many times, "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you" (D&C 88:63). "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me" (Rev. 3:20). He loves us and He will be so happy to help us become clean, grow, and come to Him if we let Him. One of my favorite hymns talks about the Atonement. Here are my favorite lines:

"Holy, holy is the Lord. Precious, precious is his word: Repent and live, Repent and live; Tho your sins be crimson red, Oh, repent, and he'll forgive. Oh, repent, and he'll forgive." (from the hymn by William W. Phelps "Gently Raise the Sacred Strain")(you can find and listen to the hymn at this website! http://www.lds.org/cm/display/0,17631,4996-1,00.html)

When I sing that it almost always makes me want to cry (even this minute)--are there many things more beautiful than forgiveness and second chances?

The thoughts that brought me around to all of this reflection actually came from something a little silly. This past Thursday night I went snowboarding. It was my second time ever and I loved it! I got the hang of it and had so much fun!! I went until the very last minute the resort was open :) The point is: the first time I went snowboarding a few years ago I hated it. I spent the day falling and the next day enjoying a purple, black, and blue backside (woot woot for alliteration). I already know how to ski well and went back to that, thinking I'd never snowboard again. But then my friend wanted to go and had never been so I decided to take him as a surprise for his birthday :) (Isn't it great how love and friendship help us overcome our fears and reservations?) We went night snowboarding at Brighton and it was so beautiful! The lights were in the trees and the glow in the night was magical. I was so grateful that I had a second chance at snowboarding. If not, I would have always disliked it and never realized the enjoyment I could find :) Do any of you have similar experiences?

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. If it were not second, third, fourth, etc chances I probably get nothing done. Holy, Holy is the Lord is one of my favorite verses in all of the hymns! very powerful.

    Also, snowboarding was really fun. I had a really great time too even though I fell like a million times. Good thing we can keep trying =)

    ReplyDelete