Monday, March 15, 2010

Creation



"The spark of creation, is flickering within me
The spark of creation, is blazing in my blood
A bit of the fire that lit up the stars
And breathed life into mud, the first inspiration
The spark creation

I see a mountain and I want to climb it
I see a river and I want to leave shore
Where there was nothing let there be something, something made by me
There's things waiting for me to invent them
There's worlds waiting for me to explore
I am an echo of the eternal cry of
Let there be!"

- "The Spark of Creation" from Stephen Schwartz's musical Children of Eden

I am so amazed by the desire humans have to create. I think it shows so much that we really are children of God--just like Him we want to create things. Even little kids want to create--they create games, toys, ridiculous fashions, even languages. I remember writing my own little code language with a friend in elementary school. It wasn't very practical, but it was fun and super top-secret :) I also remember inventing games and creating new stories in my mind. Another memory I have is of my little sister inventing a fashion revolution which required the wearing of every pair of socks one owned as well as every single head band. So much is creation---we can create friendships, questions, conversations, laughter---the possibilities are infinite. What's something you or your child or someone near you has created? What do you want to create?

I think creation is so beautiful and exciting. The picture I've attached here is of a trip I took to Zion National Park in Utah. Swirling, rainbow canyons were carved there--created--with wind and water and time. Amazing.

I think creation is a very special gift. Perhaps the most amazing is the gift to create life. I think it's more than a "perhaps."

There's a verse in the Book of Mormon that I really like about creation: "...The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator." - Alma 30:44

I like this scripture especially for the phrase "all things denote there is a God." I believe this and I feel it, too. Something I love is that where I go to college I can always see the mountains. When I am walking to class I often look up at them--sometimes white with snow, sometimes orange and red with fall leaves, sometimes green and brown. When I see them I feel more peaceful. Next to creations so large and old my worries don't seem as important. I think the mountains help remind me that God is involved in our lives and is so near and so powerful. He created things as large as galaxies and yet cares enough to beautifully organize the veins on a single leaf. I think we can learn a lot about our Heavenly Father from His creations---He has the power and vision to create on a grand scale but the care and involvement to give attention to the most microscopic of details. That's how He is in our lives, too---He sees the big picture and can help us in it but He also sees and cares about the little things :)

Perhaps this qualifies as a more stream of conscious blog? Well, I'd better be off to sleep :) I'll leave you with a few last things:

1) I love creativity and the great expanse of possibility in creation. It makes life a never-ending adventure. I was thinking about creation and I rememered my friend, Sydney, who likes to design head bands and clothing. In class I'll often see her in something cute that she's made herself. She creates! It may seem like a shameless promotion but I really admire her desire to create and be proactiv so here is the link to her head band blog: http://lemignonbandeau.blogspot.com/

2) In church the other day somebody talked about how all things bear witness of Christ and we are a part of "all things." That means that even we can and should bear record of (be like) Christ. I felt really inspired when I heard that. I'm going to try to do it better.

3) I wish you all sweet dreams! May your resting minds create many happy and engaging dreams :) Maybe try to involve coconuts, frogs, and banana-shaped houses in them? Good night!

5 comments:

  1. As the first official follower and commenter on your facebook, can I make a wish? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can make it but i'm not sure if i'll grant it teehee i'll be happy to hear though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you could set me a date with someone on next Friday,(April 2nd) but , do not call on me the day before because I would not trust anyone on that day! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello hello =) this is my first official appearance on your new blog. I really liked the thought of all things bear witness of Christ. Even the stuff about water and ice that we were talking about the other morning =)Talking about ice, that reminded of something that will occur tomorrow :)meow

    ReplyDelete
  5. xiao xiao, i'll try :) what sort of date? a play? a crazy game? cross-country skiing? oooh! if you want, we are planning to go cross-country skiing this saturday afternoon (it only costs 5$ for everything and is easy and beautiful!). let me know what you think asap!

    ReplyDelete